Solved Player Protection API comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatKilmowski

Donators
I'm checking out the Player Protection APIs.

Auto Protection 1.0
https://arkserverapi.com/resources/auto-protection.48/

PVP Protection
https://arkserverapi.com/resources/pvp-protection.51/

New Player Protection
https://arkserverapi.com/resources/new-player-protection.50/

Auto Protection seems to have the most downloads.

Can anyone recommend one over the other?

They all seem to do about the same thing, but I'm looking for something, that in addition to protecting new players, and stopping them from attacking others during this time;

I'd like to also be able to add a tribe to the list and put in a time they are protected that will automatically expire. That would be for a PVP tribe that has been raided and needs time to build back up again.

It seems that those listed only protected new players who join, not allowing me to add existing players or tribes later.

Any suggestions on if such an API exists?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Monetise Your Game Server

Want to monetise your ARK Server? Create your own webstore at tebex.io

WETBATMAN

Plugin Developer
Donators
Website
dopeark.com
first of all, those are plugins, not API's :D

secondly, NewPlayerProtection is by far the best Free Plugin, it does not require to be installed on a fresh server and will work regardless of when you started your season

thirdly, pvp protection is supposed to offer character protection as well as structure protection but character protection is currently broken and makes protected characters able to tank unprotected characters

overall I would not recommend to use autoprot because
1. it can only be used from a fresh season
2.it also protects structures like beehives and beaver dams (easy to fix)
3.if a protected player joins someone's tribe the tribe gets protection
4.memory leak

in conclusion, just use NewPlayerProtection and if you want to go for more features purchase pvp protection

KatKilmowski

Donators
Oh, I see NPP has this:

"AdminResetTribeProtectionSuccess": "{} hour(s) of protection from now has been given to Tribe: {}",

KatKilmowski

Donators
@WETBATMAN

Now that wildcard has updated to 293.105 and munged the code, and the NPP author won't search and replace and update his DLL, that is no longer a valid choice.

So I'm looking at the PVP Protection plugin.

Can it be installed on a server that is not fresh? Players already beyond the expiration, and some players within it that need protection?

And can tribes be set with protection in the middle of a season?

Thanks!

WETBATMAN

Plugin Developer
Donators
Website
dopeark.com
@WETBATMAN

Now that wildcard has updated to 293.105 and munged the code, and the NPP author won't search and replace and update his DLL, that is no longer a valid choice.

So I'm looking at the PVP Protection plugin.

Can it be installed on a server that is not fresh? Players already beyond the expiration, and some players within it that need protection?

And can tribes be set with protection in the middle of a season?

Thanks!
it is a very valid choice and you should read statements from people till the end before you make a decision, what he said was that he wasn't touching his plugin because there was a possible API update coming which would probably cause him to update the plugin 2 times, and besides the plugins was and is open source, you can always recompile it yourself, i even posted a fixed version in the discord

NPP is still the best choice IMO. I for one am glad the Author doesn't just toss 'fixes' out there to satisfy the "I NEED IT NOW OR I WILL CRAP UPON YOU" crowd. He took time to be sure other things weren't affected, took the time to test it and then deploy it. Most plug ins still aren't updated.

Thanks Ricky for all you do!

barnwellrd

Plugin Developer
I'd recommend my own plugin, NPP. I'm currently not adding any additional features at this time, but the plugin runs well and I do eventually plan to add mysql support. As for the recent crashes. That's 100% wildcards fault and I can't be expected to fix their issues on the drop of a dime. If you look at the updates, NPP hasn't been touched since December when I finished adding requested improvements, until Wildcard broke the API with a patch this week. If anyone wants to contribute to the source code, I'd more than welcome Pull Requests from other authors. NPP started off as a paid plugin, I made a pretty penny from it, and then decided it was unfair to keep it all to myself so I made it free for anyone to use, and I made it open source for others to learn from and use. You're always welcome to join my discord listed in the plugin overview even if you decide not to use it!

barnwellrd

Plugin Developer
Keep in mind that NPPs functionality is built to protect new player structures only. A new player is defined in the config as a player under X amount of hours or levels. It is also configurable to stop them from damaging structures while under protection. Some people set the max level above what is attainable and use it as raid protection although that's not what the core functionality is built around.

Status
Not open for further replies.